Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 is generally caused by a problem with the printer not being configured correctly on the system. Typically, this error shows up when using the computer and the printer for printing an image, spreadsheet or document.
There are a number of factors behind it appearing on the system and these include:
- The printer that you are using has not been set as default printer
- There are certain problems in the device manager
- The printer driver is not present or has gone missing
- Registry errors on the system might also result in this error.
The very first thing that you need to do in order to solve this problem is ensuring that your printer has been set up correctly. It is also important for you to ensure that you do not have any corrupt or damaged settings on your computer that might be preventing your printer from working in the proper manner. There are other viable solutions that can also be used for getting rid of the Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 message.
How to Fix Error Code 20
Prior to starting with the procedure of resolving Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 error it is important for you to ensure that your printer is fine. Do this by printing a self-test page. After carrying out this task, the next step you need to take is checking the USB connectivity of the printer to the computer. Once these tasks have been successfully completed, you can apply the different solutions provided below:
The very first and viable solution to the Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 problem is ensuring that the printer that is being used is set up as the default printer. The steps are as follows:
- Click on Start followed by Printers and Faxes. This will open the folder ‘Printers’ for you.
- Here you will find the printer icon.
- Now make sure that the icon of the printer that is being used has a check sign right beside it. However, if no mark is there then you need to right click on the printer icon and then click on “Set as Default Printer”.
- Now right click on the printer icon and click on the option that says Print Test Page. This will get you a self-test page printed.
- If the self-test page prints successfully then close all windows and then print the application that you were using earlier.
Another solution for the Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 problem is reinstalling the USB composite device. Installing the USB composite device again would simply be like starting all over again with a new printer. Following the steps mentioned below would have your printer up and running in no time at all.
- Right click on the option that says My Computers
- Now select Properties
- Next click on the Hardware option and then open Device Manager
- Here you need to select Universal Serial Bus Controllers and double-click on it.
- Next go to USB composite device and right click on it. Select Uninstall option and click on OK.
- Your next step will be disconnecting the USB cable from the computer and then reconnecting it.
- For installing the drivers, you will have to abide by the rules in Found New Hardware Wizard on the screen.
- Finally, you will have to click on Start option and go to Printers and Faxes for opening the folder called Printers.
- Get hold of the icon representing your printer and click on the option that says Print Test Page.
- This will have a self-test page printed for you. If you are successful in doing so then try printing a document.
Yet another solution to the Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 error is to clean-up the registry. One of the major causes behind the Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 is damaged or corrupt parts of the registry that prevent the computer from making use of the printer. The registry is basically a database within the system. It carries out the task of storing important files and settings that the computer and software required in order to run smoothly. Every time you are using your software, it must read different registry settings so that it runs smoothly. However, unfortunately, several settings get corrupted or damaged making it very difficult for the operating system to read them. For fixing this problem, it is essential for you to clean out the registry simply by making use of a good quality registry cleaner program. Such programs are easily available and they can even be used very easily and conveniently.
Hopefully, the steps mentioned above will solve your problem in no time at all.